Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Where can you find beauty?

It is easy to “find” beauty when I look out over the turquoise ocean from the cockpit of a sailboat securely anchored after a long day’s sail; as I sit next to my lover watching a slowly setting sun paint swaths of fire red, burnt orange and deep purple paint across the sky’s blue canvas; when the muted hallway light silently brushes my daughter’s resting face as I secretly watch from a crack in her bedroom doorway as she peacefully sleeps; without the stress of work or a deadline.  This is not difficult.  But, I envy the person, most often a child, who sees beauty where I cannot: a simple tree whose branches undulate in the warm summer breeze; a lonely glowing ember from the remnants of a neglected campfire; a mutt dog found on the street and given shelter.  It is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I believe, as the “beholder”, I should be open to find beauty in places where I would not otherwise have thought to look.  I should seek beauty in new and different experiences.  Where can you find beauty?

No comments: