Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Time Marches On

Summer is over. Gray and Kiki return to school tomorrow to start their 4th and 9th grade years, respectively. I am sad as I know that with the end of each summer both come ever closer to the responsibilities of adulthood. I desperately want them to experience - to the fullest extent possible - the privileges of youth AND appreciate it. That may be an oxymoron ... Perhaps the power, privileges and beauty of youth may only be appreciated after it (youth) has faded. Among my many "jobs" as a parent, I must help my children understand this reality. Is that even possible? On the one hand, I want their noses in their school books absorbed in study ... not only succeeding in school, but excelling. On the other hand, I want them to travel, experience life, the world and not be confined or limited in any way by societal (or my own) expectations. Are MY desires oxymoronic? How do I know the right answer? Or, is it better to have questions than answers?

No comments: