Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Am I a sailor now?

The title of today’s post begs the question - what makes one a sailor?  In April 2009, I completed my ASA Basic Keelboat class*, so I have some credentials - am I a sailor now?  I think not.  If I owned a sailboat, would I then be a sailor?  I think not.  As soon as I completed the BKB course, I signed up for the next in the series of ASA classes – Basic Coastal Cruising and Bareboat Chartering - when I complete those will I be a sailor?  Hmmm....  Each of us will answer this question in different ways based on our backgrounds, experiences and bias.  For example, the term “sailor” can, and certainly does, apply to professional mariners, some military personnel as well as recreational sailors.  I am still searching for the answer for me.  Perhaps it is not even a valid question.  On the other hand, maybe a sailor can be defined as simply as "one who sails."  In that case, I am a sailor.  For the time, I am going to forget titles and go sailing.  I will have fun.  I will be safe.  I will endeavor to learn more each and every day that I am out on the water.  In the end, I know that a sailor is never complete as there is always much more to learn no matter your "credentials" or experience level.


* I learned a lot and had a great instructor, Capt. Debbie Graham at Island Fever Sailing School on Grand Lake, Oklahoma.  So, thanks Capt. Debbie!

No comments: